Smudging, or the burning of sacred plants for purification, is practiced traditionally in cultures throughout the world. Plants are chosen based on their spiritual power and their ability to affect the energy of a person or space--whether to move, clear, purify, protect, or enhance.
It has been said that Spirits like the aroma of the burned herbs, thus evoking their presence in our lives. The smoke itself is believed to carry our prayers and intentions to a higher power. The scent may inspire memories within us, awaken quiet voices in our souls, and direct us on our paths. As a purification ritual, smudging is a powerful tool to move stagnant energy and create sacred space. The scent of some herbs enhances our psychic energy and intuition, and can be used to deepen meditation practices or dream states.
There are a number of plants that are used traditionally in smudging, and you can explore to find the ones that speak most clearly to you and your needs.
- White Sage II Drives away negative energy and influences. Releases what is troubling the mind. Prepare for ceremonies and teachings. Useful for cleansing homes and sacred items.
- Cedar II Purify space. Calls the attention of the Spirits as an offering and carries prayers upward. Guardian spirit that chases away negative energies.
- Sweetgrass II Awakens gentleness and has a calming effect. Attracts positive energy. Known as the "Hair of Mother Earth". The three braids represent love, kindness, and honesty.
- Juniper II Fortifies our spiritual will and expands consciousness. Release stagnant thought patterns of anger, frustration, irritability, and anxiety. Opens the heart chakra. Protective energy, and can break hexes and curses.
- Palo Santo II Known as Holy Wood, this South and Central American tree is known for its mysticism. The tree lives for up to 90 years, and then lies dead for at least 4 years, when it transforms and gains its sacred properties. Cleansing, grounding, enhances creativity. Relieves stress, eases emotional trauma, and raises vibrations in preparation for meditation. Can inspire a deep connection to the source of all being.
Other herbs can be added to smudges as well, such as mugwort, roses, calendula, sweet annie....really, whatever plant is speaking to you!
Fresh in the shop you'll find bundles of sage, cedar, juniper, and braids of sweetgrass, as well as uniquely handcrafted bundles (made right here!) of a combination of herbs. These beauties make great gifts for friends or family in need of a powerful energetic shift!