Did you know that you have a superpower? Well, you do...it's your intuition! You don't have to be a spiritual guru, a healer, a mystic or anything like that to tap into the power of your intuition. You might just need a little practice to listen to the wise voice that is there to guide you.
Intuition comes from the Latin word "In-tuire": looking, regarding, or knowing from within. It is a way of knowing that is holistic; a surety that knows the inherent truth without the need or external evidence or proof. We can strengthen this faculty through simple practices of mindfulness & meditation, and sometimes all it takes to activate our intuition is removing the barriers and obstacles in the way of its unfolding. Remember, we all have our own intuition--we just need to tap into it!
Our intuition can manifest in a number of different ways, and we might find that we experience our intuition more strongly in certain ways than others. Where is your intuitive strength?
- Intuitive Experiences: Discovery/invention, creative inspiration/art, creative problem solving, clairvoyance, telepathy, extra-sensory perception, hunches, premonitions
- Physical Intuition: Associated with bodily sensations; gut reactions; physical cues including tension, sweating, hair-raising; open vs. closedness when around someone
- Emotion Intuition: Experiences through emotions, picking up on people's "vibes", making choices based on what feels emotionally correct
- Mental Intuition: Aspects related to visions, thinking or awareness; often seen in discovery & breakthrough; scientific discoveries coming from a "feeling" about their research
- Spiritual Intuition: Mystical experiences, the knowledge of "God", knowing that is derived without emotion, feeling, thinking, or physical cues
Creating sacred space and setting aside time for practice is essential for strengthening your intuition. By creating a practice, we can learn to quiet our minds, improve our hearing & cognition, and open our hearts to receive. Start by quieting the mind with meditation. Most spiritual traditions include a form of meditation to help clear obstacles so that you are fully open to recognizing, hearing, and using your intuition. Meditation increases your skill at being still, and enhances your ability to open your third eye. Chanting is a great way to start with meditation, as it gives your brain something to focus on (a mantra), for those of us that find ourselves easily distracted. Read more about Chanting here! Chanting invokes joy and focus, allowing for deeper reception and clarity. Remember, there is no "right" way to still your mind...pay attention to what fills you with joy and calm, and use that as an anchor when you are moving into a meditation space.
Growing an Intuitive Garden is a great way to both create a sacred space for your practice, while also growing herbs and plants that will be helpful on your journey! Start your garden by choosing a shape: a circle works well, or a square, where you can sit in the center. Use stones from your yard to make the four cardinal directions, and line the edges of your garden with stones as well to create a boundary. You can create paths through your garden, as seen in the image below:
Or, consider making mandala-like spirals or a labyrinth. Whatever speaks to you! If you don't have a yard or a lot of space for your garden, you can grow plants in containers and place them around a sacred space in your home.
Let's talk about plants! There are lots of options to choose from based on your specific goals/needs. Here are a few suggestions for different gardens to get you started.
- Yarrow: prepares you to willingly receive enlightenment, opens the Crown chakra, cleanses body & spirit, protects aura & spirit, aids with healthy boundaries, aids with communication with past loved ones
- Holy Basil (Tulsi): sacred herb in Ayurvedic tradition, releases tension & anxiety in the body, supports Crown chakra
- Mint: aids magical sensitivity, divination, protective, helpful with communication & personal growth
- Lavender: calms the minds, links the chakras
- Calendula: strengthens Solar Plexus, increases fire & strength, protective & healing, increases intuitive awareness both in & out of dreams
- Thyme: activates conscious mind
- Sage: purification herb, awakens inner guide, creates mental clarity, opens third eye, can be used as a cleansing bath
- Sweet Grass
- Clary Sage: allows deeper connection to the dream world
- Juniper: balances & protects energy
- Mugwort: associated with moon goddess Artemis & feminine energy, strong dream herb for lucid dreaming, very cleansing & protective
- Roses: heart-opening flower, helps the heart to hear, opens us to self-love
- Jasmine: traditional dream herb, opens third eye and enhances psychic ability, prophecy & diviniation
- Dandelion: highly nutritive herb that nourishes the body & spirit, the root enhances divinitory ability and intution
- Holy Basil (Tulsi)
- Fruit-bearing plants
- Patchouli: grounding & stabilizing
- Witch Hazel